The Cap | Fountain Pen
Magnetic cap fountain pen made with reclaimed woods.
The inlay design on this beautifully weighted fountain pen plays on the symmetry of the hardware and highlights the olivewood trimmed from ancient groves, as well as salvaged Indonesian teak. The magnetic cap posts to both ends of the pen with a satisfying click.
- Olivewood trimmings from ancient groves in Israel that show beautiful contrasting grain.
- Teak salvaged from decommissioned buildings in Indonesia, where our vendor operates a social enterprise that prioritizes working conditions and environmental impact.
- Fountain pen with German-made nib. Steel core and medium-weight iridium tip for a smooth writing experience with a touch of line variation.
- Includes disposable ink cartridge and piston filler for your favorite bottled ink.
- Handmade in Chicago and guaranteed for life.
Each piece of this gorgeous wood is completely unique. The beautiful grain of Bethlehem olivewood can be straight, curly, dark, light, swirling... you get the gist.
Throughout Israel there are olive groves that have grown for over 2,000 years. These trees saw Rome rise and eventually fall. They watched much of Biblical history unfold, and they still stand today to bear witness to the trials faced by the region.
These trees are highly protected; those who maintain them gather branch trimmings and deadfall and make them available to tourists and woodworkers.
Salvaged Indonesian Teak
Too many woodlands are diminished as the result of deforestation. One contributing factor is improper systems of recycling. We source our teak from IndoTeak Design, whose prerogative is to salvage the highest quality teak without any damage to the environment. By properly utilizing FSC Recycled 100% teak salvaged from Indonesia, their production operates as a zero-waste process. This means no trees are cut down as a result of their work. Instead, the wood is saved from 100-300-year-old structures that would have otherwise been demolished. They also provide excellent working conditions for their team in Indonesia.
Specifications (it's all in the details)
- Size: 5.5 inches long capped. 4.75 inches uncapped.
- Weight: 1.7 oz.
- Refills: Compatible with short international ink cartridges and standard piston converters. Ships with one black ink cartridge and converter.
In the box
Packaging represents 1/3 of municipal waste. We keep ours simple to save space, but make it by hand so that you know what's inside is loved. Your pen will include a:
- Handcrafted leather pen sleeve.
- Stitched booklet with stories of the wood and pen care instructions.
- Handmade kraft paper penvelope.
The simplest and most powerful guarantee we could create.
- If we made it, it is guaranteed for life. We will repair or replace anything.
- If you buy it, you'll love it. If you don't, we'll work with you until you do, or you can return it for a full refund.
- No questions asked, no paperwork needed.
- If you lose it, or it gets destroyed outside of reasonable use, we'll sell you a replacement at half price.
- Lots of companies use words like "reasonable use" as a loophole. We don't. Wear and tear is part of reasonable use, and it is covered.
Shoot us a message at email@example.com and let us know how we can help.
Our products are handcrafted, mostly to order. We make our smaller pieces in small batches of 10-20 items at a time. Because of the custom, handcrafted nature of our products, it usually takes us 2-3 business days to prepare your order for shipment.
Estimated shipping times begin when your order is shipped and vary by the carrier and service you choose. First-class and ground services usually take up a to a week to deliver to the United States and international first-class services usually take upwards of 3-4 weeks to deliver once we ship your package.
Please note that all carriers are experiencing delivery delays right now. It's important to us that you get your order as quickly as possible, but unfortunately after we drop off your package for shipping the delivery timeline is out of our hands. USPS and FedEx will be your best bet for tracking down information about your package. If you are having trouble getting answers, or if you just want some peace of mind, feel free to shoot us a message with questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is my second purchase from Allegory. I bought "The Cap" rollerball a number of years ago and I really love it. Also, I really appreciate their customer service; they stand by their work and are a good company.
"The Cap" fountain pen is very nice. It writes very will, with a medium-fine stroke and no bleeding or excess ink. The magnetic cap is very satisfying to click on top or post on the back. And the wood is both beautiful and provides nice feel. I find the pen slightly unbalanced when the cap is not posted, but that isn't an issue for me as I always keep the cap attached. One word of warning. The internal 'guide tube' where the ink cartridge is held is very narrow. It will fit true international standard cartridges (as they say) but there are many brands out there that sell "international standard" carts that are too wide for this pen. I made the mistake of trying to use one only to find ink all over my hands. This was my fault, not allegory's, but be advised anyway.
I give this "only" four stars because I have other fountain pens I like more; but they were much more expensive. This pen punches far above its weight and cannot be beat for price.
I have customized versions of this pen in fountain and rollerball. The magnetic click is very satifying when placing the cap. Both pens write great and Allegory was easy to work with on creating these for me. Worth every penny. I also purchased one as a gift.
High quality pen made with gorgeous wood. I bought one for myself and several people in my office as Christmas gifts. Everyone loved them and uses them daily.