Twist-retractable ballpoint made with reclaimed and ancient woods.
Made in the USA with reclaimed picklewood redwood and ancient Bethlehem olivewood, the Aficionado is a large-barreled, twist-style pen using standard Parker style refills.
- Olivewood trimmings from ancient groves in Israel that show beautiful contrasting grain.
- Old-growth redwood reclaimed from decommissioned pickling vats.
- Wide-barreled twist mechanism.
- Parker style refill offers tons of options for writing experience.
- Handmade in Chicago and guaranteed for life.
Each piece of this gorgeous wood is completely unique. The beautiful grain of Bethlehem olivewood can be straight, curly, dark, light, swirling... you get the gist.
Throughout Israel there are olive groves that have grown for over 2,000 years. These trees saw Rome rise and eventually fall. They watched much of Biblical history unfold, and they still stand today to bear witness to the trials faced by the region.
These trees are highly protected; those who maintain them gather branch trimmings and deadfall and make them available to tourists and woodworkers.
Prior to the onset and broad adoption of refrigeration technology, food preservation was a much more complex task. Pickling was a primary method of food preservation and a lifeline for many homes. Large amounts of lumber were required to construct pickling vats.
Today these vats are no longer needed in such large quantities, and they provide an excellent source of reclaimed lumber. The compounds used in the pickling process add beautiful character to the wood, evident in our picklewood redwood's beautiful deep red/brown tone.
Specifications (it's all in the details)
- Size: 5.5 inches long.
- Weight: 1.8 oz.
- Refills: Compatible with all Parker style ballpoint refills. Ships with a black refill installed.
In the box
Packaging and what's included:
Packaging represents 1/3 of municipal waste. We keep ours simple to save space, but make it by hand so that you know what's inside is loved. Your pen will include a:
- Handcrafted leather pen sleeve.
- Stitched booklet with stories of the wood and pen care instructions.
- Handmade kraft paper penvelope.