Twist-retractable ballpoint made with reclaimed woods.
The Troubadour has a slim, balanced design with a twist mechanism. The woods in this pen harken back to the era of the pioneers, and its design is ready to hit the road and compose your next adventure.
- Sinker cypress that spent a century at the bottom of the Mississippi River, a recovered relic from the days of river logging.
- Old-growth redwood reclaimed from decommissioned pickling vats.
- Slim profile and twist mechanism.
- Cross style refills offer tons of options for your writing experience.
- Handmade in Chicago and guaranteed for life.
Prior to the onset of modern industry and logistics, loggers practiced log driving, where floating logs down river to a temporary sawmill was the first step in the process of creating lumber. The term "lumberjack" comes from this process. Occasionally logs would sink and become trapped in the silt at the bottom of the river. If enough silt was laid down before rot and erosion set in, the log was preserved.
Today these century-old remnants of pre-industrial America are recovered from the bottoms of river beds, becoming one of the most sought-after varieties of reclaimed lumber on the market.
Prior to the onset and broad adoption of refrigeration technology, food preservation was a much more complex task. Pickling was a primary method of food preservation and a lifeline for many homes. Large amounts of lumber were required to construct pickling vats.
Today these vats are no longer needed in such large quantities, and they provide an excellent source of reclaimed lumber. The compounds used in the pickling process add beautiful character to the wood, evident in our picklewood redwood's beautiful deep red/brown tone.
Specifications (it's all in the details)
- Size: 5.25 inches long.
- Weight: .9 oz.
- Refills: Compatible with all Cross style ballpoint. Ships with a black refill installed.
In the box
Packaging and what's included:
Packaging represents 1/3 of municipal waste. We keep ours simple to save space, but make it by hand so that you know what's inside is loved. Your pen will include a:
- Handcrafted leather pen sleeve.
- Stitched booklet with stories of the wood and pen care instructions.
- Handmade kraft paper penvelope.