Made with wood that witnessed civil rights history.
The arc-shaped inlay comes from the building Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke in front of after the Selma voting rights march in 1965. That day he said, "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." This pen commemorates the hope that each day brings us closer to a reality where we all gets to tell our own story.
- Arc inlay made with wood from the Alabama State Capitol building.
- Main wood body made with 5,000 year old bog oak.
- A portion of each sale invests in the future of one of Chicago's most violent neighborhoods through our partnership with Good Kids Mad City - Englewood.
- Medium barreled pen with cap that unscrews and posts to back for balance. Your choice of fountain, rollerball, or both.
- Fountain pen with German-made nib. Steel core and medium-weight iridium tip for a smooth writing experience with a touch of line variation. Includes disposable ink cartridge and piston filler for your favorite bottled ink.
- Rollerball is compatible with 110 mm Euro rollerball refills and ships with a Schneider Topball 850.
- Set includes limited edition box, one fountain pen, and one rollerball.
- Handmade in Chicago and guaranteed for life.
On March 25, 1965, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. stepped in front of a microphone on the steps of the Alabama State Capitol building in Montgomery, Alabama. Over the past five days, he and thousands of others had marched 54 miles from Selma, Alabama. On that day Dr. King said something incredibly powerful. "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
The Alabama State Capitol building had long been a seat of power in the segregationist South, serving as the first capitol of the Confederate States and housing their constitutional convention. George Wallace, the Alabama governor, was a staunch segregationist and refused to protect or recognize the protesters. Dr. King's choice to speak from these steps, in and of itself, was an act of strength and defiance. In 1985, the State Capitol building began its first significant renovation since the events of 1965. As part of this renovation a board was removed from the threshold. This board made its way into our hands in 2012. We kept it for 8 years, unsure how we could share a story that didn't feel like ours. And then we witnessed George Floyd's death, and the ensuing unrest. While we still don't feel like we have any answers, silence wasn't an option. So we released the Arc Edition on Kickstarter and promised to give back to the community somehow. This led us to form a partnership with Good Kids Mad City - Englewood.
GKMC - Englewood works in one of Chicago's most violent communities and gives kids life saving options, community, and hope. A portion of the sale from each Arc Edition pen is donated to their work, and you can donate directly to them here.
Matte Metal Cap
Unscrews from the front of the pen and pressure fit posts to back for excellent balance while writing. Integrated pocket clip.
Limited Edition Numbering
Each pen is engraved with a limited edition number and includes a leather sleeve and a signed certificate of authenticity.
Elegant rollerball includes Schneider Topball 850 refill for a smooth writing experience. Compatible with all 110mm Euro rollerball refills.
Fountain Pen Option
Fountain pen uses a #5 German-made nib. Steel core and medium-weight iridium tip for a smooth writing experience with a touch of line variation. Includes disposable ink cartridge and piston filler for your favorite bottled ink.
Set with limited edition box.
The fountain pen & rollerball set includes the limited edition box.
Specifications (it's all in the details)
- Size: 5.5 inches long with cap on; 5.75 inches with cap posted; and 5 inches without cap.
- Weight: 1.5 oz with the cap on and 1.2 oz without the cap.
- Rollerball Refills: The rollerball uses Euro/rollerball 110mm refills and ships with a Schneider Topball 850 refill in black ink.
- Fountain Pen Refills: The fountain pen use short international ink cartridges or international piston fillers. Ships with one of each.
- Fountain Pen Nib: Ships with a #5 medium nib.
In the box
Packaging and what's included:
Packaging represents 1/3 of municipal waste. We keep ours simple to save space, but make it by hand so that you know what's inside is loved. Yours will include:
Single Rollerball or Fountain Pen
- Handcrafted leather pen sleeve.
- Limited edition certificate of authenticity and serial number that includes the story of the wood.
- Handmade kraft paper penvelope.
Fountain Pen & Rollerball Set
- Two handcrafted leather pen sleeves.
- Two limited edition certificates of authenticity and serial numbers that includes the story of the wood, one for each pen.
- One limited edition engraved cherry wood presentation box.