Fountain pen made with ancient woods.
Made in the USA with 5,000 year old black bog oak and ancient Bethlehem olivewood, the Dignitary is a striking fountain pen with a screw-off cap.
- Olivewood trimmings from ancient groves in Israel that show beautiful contrasting grain.
- 5,000 year old bog oak from ancient forests in the Ukraine that were swallowed by swampland after the last ice age.
- Cap unscrews and posts to back of pen for balance.
- Fountain pen with German-made nib. Steel core and medium-weight iridium tip for a smooth writing experience with a touch of line variation.
- Includes disposable ink cartridge and piston filler for your favorite bottled ink.
- Handmade in Chicago and guaranteed for life.
Each piece of this gorgeous wood is completely unique. The beautiful grain of Bethlehem olivewood can be straight, curly, dark, light, swirling... you get the gist.
Throughout Israel there are olive groves that have grown for over 2,000 years. These trees saw Rome rise and eventually fall. They watched much of Biblical history unfold, and they still stand today to bear witness to the trials faced by the region.
These trees are highly protected; those who maintain them gather branch trimmings and deadfall and make them available to tourists and woodworkers.
No, this wood isn't stained black. 5,000 years in a peat bog in the Ukraine have naturally turned these huge, ancient oak trees black all the way through.
At the end of the last ice age rising water levels caused huge oak forests throughout Europe to die standing and fall into the muck. For the last 3,500 - 5,000 years these trees have been preserved in anaerobic conditions underneath peat bogs.
The ages have turned bog oak a deep black with dark brown grain. This is the result of a chemical reaction that occurred between the tannins in the oak and soluble irons present in the bog soil.
Specifications (it's all in the details)
- Size: 5.125 inches long capped. 4.5 inches uncapped. 6.25 inches with cap posted.
- Weight: 1 oz.
- Nib: Compatible with #5 nibs. Ships with Jowo #5 medium nib.
- Refills: Compatible with short international ink cartridges and standard international piston converters. Ships with one black cartridge and one converter.
In the box
Packaging and what's included:
Packaging represents 1/3 of municipal waste. We keep ours simple to save space, but make it by hand so that you know what's inside is loved. Your pen will include a:
- Handcrafted leather pen sleeve.
- Stitched booklet with stories of the wood and pen care instructions.
- Handmade kraft paper penvelope.