The Bard | Fountain Pen
Fountain pen made with ancient woods.
Made in the USA with 50,000 year old ancient kauri and reclaimed sinker cypress, the Bard is a classic fountain pen with a cap that unscrews and posts to the back of the pen.
- Sinker cypress that spent a century at the bottom of the Mississippi River, a recovered relic from the days of river logging.
- 50,000 year old kauri from ancient forests in New Zealand that have been preserved underground.
- Cap unscrews and posts to back of pen for balance.
- Fountain pen with German-made nib. Steel core and medium-weight iridium tip for a smooth writing experience with a touch of line variation.
- Includes disposable ink cartridge and piston filler for your favorite bottled ink.
- Handmade in Chicago and guaranteed for life.
It's called ancient kauri, and it's up to 50,000 years old. Yes, 50,000! The oldest workable wood in the world, ancient kauri shows just the earliest signs of petrification. Called "whitebait," this phenomenon creates small veins of mineral deposits that give the wood a one-of-a-kind luminescence.
50,000 years ago, in what is now Northern New Zealand, a major natural event felled huge forests of kauri trees that had been growing for some 2,000 years. This event also created bogs in the area that protected these giants from the elements. Today these trees are typically found under farmland from which they are carefully excavated before the ground is returned to its previous contours.
Just for some perspective, here are a few things that happened on Earth less than 50,000 years ago…
- 16,000 years ago the depressions that would become the Great Lakes were fully formed.
- The last Ice Age ended approximately 5,000 years ago.
- Homo Sapiens reached the area from which these trees were recovered only around 40,000 years ago.
Prior to the onset of modern industry and logistics, loggers practiced log driving, where floating logs down river to a temporary sawmill was the first step in the process of creating lumber. The term "lumberjack" comes from this process. Occasionally logs would sink and become trapped in the silt at the bottom of the river. If enough silt was laid down before rot and erosion set in, the log was preserved.
Today these century-old remnants of pre-industrial America are recovered from the bottoms of river beds, becoming one of the most sought-after varieties of reclaimed lumber on the market.
Specifications (it's all in the details)
- Size: 5 inches long capped. 4.75 inches uncapped. 6.5 inches with cap posted.
- Weight: 1.2 oz.
- Nib: Compatible with #5 nibs. Ships with Jowo #5 medium nib.
- Refills: Compatible with short international ink cartridges and standard international piston converters. Ships with one black cartridge and one converter.
In the box
Packaging represents 1/3 of municipal waste. We keep ours simple to save space, but make it by hand so that you know what's inside is loved. Your pen will include a:
- Handcrafted leather pen sleeve.
- Stitched booklet with stories of the wood and pen care instructions.
- Handmade kraft paper penvelope.
The simplest and most powerful guarantee we could create.
- If we made it, it is guaranteed for life. We will repair or replace anything.
- If you buy it, you'll love it. If you don't, we'll work with you until you do, or you can return it for a full refund.
- No questions asked, no paperwork needed.
- If you lose it, or it gets destroyed outside of reasonable use, we'll sell you a replacement at half price.
- Lots of companies use words like "reasonable use" as a loophole. We don't. Wear and tear is part of reasonable use, and it is covered.
Shoot us a message at email@example.com and let us know how we can help.
Our products are handcrafted, mostly to order. We make our smaller pieces in small batches of 10-20 items at a time. Because of the custom, handcrafted nature of our products, it usually takes us 2-3 business days to prepare your order for shipment.
Estimated shipping times begin when your order is shipped and vary by the carrier and service you choose. First-class and ground services usually take up a to a week to deliver to the United States and international first-class services usually take upwards of 3-4 weeks to deliver once we ship your package.
Please note that all carriers are experiencing delivery delays right now. It's important to us that you get your order as quickly as possible, but unfortunately after we drop off your package for shipping the delivery timeline is out of our hands. USPS and FedEx will be your best bet for tracking down information about your package. If you are having trouble getting answers, or if you just want some peace of mind, feel free to shoot us a message with questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I was gifted the Bard for my birthday. Amazing craftsmanship. I love fountain pens and this one is by far the best in my collection. I will write with it daily. Truly an heirloom treasure!