Twist-retractable ballpoint with stylus featuring 5,000 year old wood inlay.
The Mogul is a slim pen with a touchscreen stylus designed to blend the ancient with the modern by incorporating wood that spent 5,000 years underground.
- 5,000 year old bog oak from ancient forests in the Ukraine that were swallowed by swampland after the last ice age.
- Douglas fir from decommissioned pickling vats.
- Slim profile and twist mechanism.
- Cross style refills offer tons of options for your writing experience.
- Handmade in Chicago and guaranteed for life.
No, this wood isn't stained black. 5,000 years in a peat bog in the Ukraine have naturally turned these huge, ancient oak trees black all the way through. At the end of the last ice age rising water levels caused huge oak forests throughout Europe to die standing and fall into the muck. For the last 3,500 - 5,000 years these trees have been preserved in anaerobic conditions underneath peat bogs. The ages have turned bog oak a deep black with dark brown grain. This is the result of a chemical reaction that occurred between the tannins in the oak and soluble irons present in the bog soil.
Prior to the onset and broad adoption of refrigeration technology, food preservation was a much more complex task. Pickling was a primary method of food preservation and a lifeline for many homes. Large amounts of lumber were required to construct pickling vats.
Today these vats are no longer necessary in such quantity, and they provide an excellent source of reclaimed lumber. The compounds used in the pickling process add beautiful character to the wood, evident in our picklewood douglas fir's yellow-blond tone and strong, straight grain.
Specifications (it's all in the details)
- Size: 5.25 inches long.
- Weight: .8 oz.
- Refills: Compatible with all Cross style ballpoint refills. Ships with a black refill installed.
In the box
Packaging and what's included:
Packaging represents 1/3 of municipal waste. We keep ours simple to save space, but make it by hand so that you know what's inside is loved. Your pen will include a:
- Handcrafted leather pen sleeve.
- Stitched booklet with stories of the wood and pen care instructions.
- Handmade kraft paper penvelope.