Executive rollerball with screw-on cap made with ancient woods.
Made in the USA with 50,000 year old ancient kauri and 5,000 year old black bog oak, the Dynamo is a distinguished roller ball pen for smooth and balanced writing.
- 50,000 year old kauri from ancient forests in New Zealand that have been preserved underground.
- 5,000 year old bog oak from ancient forests in the Ukraine that were swallowed by swampland after the last ice age.
- Cap unscrews and posts to back of pen for balance.
- Standard 110mm Euro rollerball refills offer pristine writing experience.
- Handmade in Chicago and guaranteed for life.
It's called ancient kauri, and it's up to 50,000 years old. Yes, 50,000! The oldest workable wood in the world, ancient kauri shows just the earliest signs of petrification. Called "whitebait," this phenomenon creates small veins of mineral deposits that give the wood a one-of-a-kind luminescence.
50,000 years ago, in what is now Northern New Zealand, a major natural event felled huge forests of kauri trees that had been growing for some 2,000 years. This event also created bogs in the area that protected these giants from the elements. Today these trees are typically found under farmland from which they are carefully excavated before the ground is returned to its previous contours.
Just for some perspective, here are a few things that happened on Earth less than 50,000 years ago…
- 16,000 years ago the depressions that would become the Great Lakes were fully formed.
- The last Ice Age ended approximately 5,000 years ago.
- Homo Sapiens reached the area from which these trees were recovered only around 40,000 years ago.
No, this wood isn't stained black. 5,000 years in a peat bog in the Ukraine have naturally turned these huge, ancient oak trees black all the way through.
At the end of the last ice age rising water levels caused huge oak forests throughout Europe to die standing and fall into the muck. For the last 3,500 - 5,000 years these trees have been preserved in anaerobic conditions underneath peat bogs.
The ages have turned bog oak a deep black with dark brown grain. This is the result of a chemical reaction that occurred between the tannins in the oak and soluble irons present in the bog soil.
Specifications (it's all in the details)
- Size: 5.125 inches capped. 4.5 inches uncapped. 6.25 inches with cap posted.
- Weight: 1 oz.
- Refills: Compatible with 110 mm Euro rollerball refills. Ships with a black refill installed.
In the box
Packaging and what's included:
Packaging represents 1/3 of municipal waste. We keep ours simple to save space, but make it by hand so that you know what's inside is loved. Your pen will include a:
- Handcrafted leather pen sleeve.
- Stitched booklet with stories of the wood and pen care instructions.
- Handmade kraft paper penvelope.